MORE ABOUT JESUS: HIS BAPTISM | Forum

Mike Odeh Feb 21
Text: MATTHEW 3:13-17

In the last study we talked about the Lord's mission! His mission is to save men from their sins! If you have not gone through that study,please do! 

Today, our text shows us something very important in the life and ministry of our Lord Jesus! The Lord Jesus was baptized both in water and the Holy Spirit!

Well, I don't know if you had paid attention to this before in your study of the Bible.

If the Lord Jesus was baptized, the King of kings and the Lord of lords then my friend, baptism is important and necessary for all followers of Christ.

From this passage we must take note that Christ experienced two baptisms!

1. Water baptism Matthew 3:16

2. Baptism in the Holy Spirit vs 16

WATER BAPTISM 

Sometimes, we tend to emphasize one baptism over the other especially the water baptism!

Water baptism is great and of great spiritual significance as baptism signifies new birth! It signifies repentance from sin! As you go into the water, your sins go in the water with you in death and as you come out of the water,you are coming out as a new creature, leaving sin behind in the water of God's mercy and love! The water can be seen as the ocean of His love! The water can also be seen as the blood of Jesus flowing abundantly for your cleansing! When the Lord turned river Nile in Egypt into blood it has significance! And the blood of Jesus shed on the cross is the proof of the depth of God's mercy and love for us! Alleliua! So,if you have not been baptized,seek to do so, even if you are born again already, do it like the Lord, so as to fulfill all righteousness vs 15.

2. HOLY GHOST BAPTISM 

After the Lord was baptized by John the Baptist who by the way refused to baptise the Lord Jesus, initially, the Word of God says, the heavens were opened to the Lord Jesus  and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and resting upon Him.

This is testament to the significance of water baptism! Immediately after water baptism, the heavens were opened over the Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit came down! He received the water, He received the fire. And right there the heavenly Father  placed His seal of approval on Christ! And He was ready and equipped for ministry.

We can't overemphasize the significance of baptism in the Holy Spirit! After water baptism the heavens were opened, after Holy Spirit baptism, the voice of the heavenly Father was heard! The voice of the Maker was heard! The voice that was heard at creation was heard again and the Lord Jesus went forth from there to change the history of human kind because of that voice, "...THIS IS MY BELOVED SON, IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED."

The Forum post is edited by Mike Odeh Mar 7